PLEASE NOTE: The dress featured in this set is SOLD OUT. It was originally from CrumpetEngland.com (brand unknown). Here is a similar black dress. The BKE Dakota Convertible pant is from Buckle.com.
Ten piece packing list: the ideal quantity of clothing to create the perfect capsule wardrobe. It also acts as the core of a larger wardrobe.
Whether you’re going on a Round-the-World journey, 1 week business trip, or a two week vacation, the Travel Essentials Packing List shows you how to pack light and have the right clothes for any trip. If you’re low maintenance or you just want to pack light, this list offers you the ability to maximize your travel outfits with minimal gear in a carry-on bag.
This is the ultimate minimalist packing list that everyone can follow!
TRAVEL ESSENTIALS PACKING LIST
THE PERFECT CAPSULE WARDROBE
Where and when are you traveling?
This list is equally perfect if you’re traveling for business, going on a fun weekend getaway, or if you’re a minimalist traveler going on a long term trip. It’s all about choosing the right clothing pieces to fit the needs of your travels, and making sure that you can mix and match each item.
For trips under one week, laundry may not be necessary depending on your packing list combination of choice (see below Essentials Suggested Packing List).
Hand washing or laundry service is necessary for trips over 1 week. Remember, all you need is one week’s worth of clothing then plan to do laundry weekly for the duration of your trip.
Remember, just because your trip is longer doesn’t mean you need to pack more! You just need to do laundry.
Guidelines to choose appropriate items:
- Color: One Color Story – mostly solids, patterns within the same color story. Half of items neutral colors + half one color story
- Fabric: Durable, quick dry, synthetics
- Cut: Good Fit, classic styles that match with everything
- Style: Items should be versatile and appropriate in various settings: Beach, Temples, Villages, Cities, Treks, etc
- Travel Bag: 30-40 Liter Backpack or carry-on size weekender bag or duffle
1. Four Tank Tops/Short Sleeve Tops in the heat or Four Long Sleeves for Cooler Climates – Synthetic fabric, quick dry, solid colors or simple prints. Classic cuts that can be worn under dress or button up shirt to match and provide extra coverage if needed. Tunics are versatile and can be worn in more than ways than regular length tops.
2. One Long Sleeve Button Up Shirt – Light Fabric, Synthetics, polyester, or silk blend. Able to layer over other tops and dresses as a light jacket or cover up
3. Three Bottoms – Jeans in dark colors, lightweight trouser, and mid to floor length skirts are all good options for travel. Jeans work well on vacations, trips to metropolitan cities, or cool climates. Remember, jeans may be heavy but they hardly have to be washed. Maxi skirts work well in a variety of settings and are both fashionable and conservative
4. Two Dresses – Light Fabric, Solid Vibrant Color/Print or Neutral Khaki or Little Black Dress. A sun dress is idea that can be worn casually during the day and dressed up at night.
5. Outerwear – One Fleece/Hoodie/Cardigan and /or Water Resistant Jacket/Coat depending on weather
6. One Bathing Suit – Reversible bathing suits allow you to mix and match. Choose one that has a neutral shade on one side so it can easily double up as a bra under your tops
7. Two Bras – neutral color that matches with all your tops. Read about choosing the best bras for travel.
8. One Sports Bra – if you plan on doing activities or have long bumpy transportation journeys
9. Five-Ten Pairs of Underwear – neutral/nude colors; quick dry, avoid 100% cotton
10. Two/Three pairs of shoes – Follow guidelines in travel shoe section.
11. One belt that can be worn with pants and dress for practical style
12. A complete set of jewelry – one of each: earrings, ring, necklace, bracelet (costume jewelry is good for safety)
4 Tops + 4 Bottoms + 2 Dresses (versatile, shown above)
5 Tops + 3 Bottoms + 2 Dresses (good multi-climate trips or hot weather)
6 Tops + 3 Bottoms + 1 Dress (good for varying climates)
7 Tops + 3 Bottoms (good for cold climates)
10 Dresses (perfect for resort and tropical vacations)
If you want to pack light but need more than a handful of clothing items, check out the other Universal Packing Lists and to shop functional and stylish travel gear, check out the Travel Fashion Girl Shop.
To learn how to mix and match 26 travel outfits with these 9 clothing pieces, check out the Travel Essentials Packing List Style-Mix.
Please re-post, re-tweet, and pin to share the love with other travel fashion girls like you. Thanks for reading!
Share and Enjoy