Traveling to London? Here are a few travel essentials you shouldn’t forget from your London packing list! Read this post for full details on what to pack for London year round!
London Packing List
Canvas Shopping Bag
One of the things I’ve noticed in London and other cities in Europe is that women carry a tote bag in addition to their purse. Follow suit and bring a packable tote you can use to carry any additional items such as souvenirs, lunch, jacket, umbrella, or other small things you may or may not need throughout the day. Use it as your main bag or in addition to your day purse.
Light Layering Top
It can be cold outside but when you’re walking, sightseeing, and buzzing through the London Underground; it tends to get a bit warm. My thick is wearing a 1 or 2 light layers under my jacket or coat and throwing in a pair of stocking and long sleeve top I can wear if I get cold.
Read these tips on how to layer your clothing.
Avoid packing a carry-on or duffel that’s too heavy
As mentioned in the ultimate backpacking Europe Packing list, the last thing you want to do is pack an over-sized wheeled suitcase around the streets of London especially when using the Tube to get to your next destination. Not only is it jam packed with people but you might struggle getting up and down the steps with a large suitcase.
Read this post for our Ten Step Europe Packing Guide!
As always comfortable shoes are a must
You’ll be nonstop on your travels to London especially when the majority of sightseeing is done on foot or traveling between tube stations. There’s a lot of walking so don’t be surprised.
Don’t despair, if you find out your comfy shoes aren’t the best you can pick up a new pair at the Clarks or Geox store on Oxford Circus. Geox is an Italian footwear company known for its super comfortable shoes. I stopped by and checked out their selection and not only did they look comfy but they also looked like they could handle walking on cobblestone streets without falling apart. I hear they’re worth the price tag.
No matter what time of year it is in London a travel size umbrella is a must. Don’t let your shopping bags get drenched in a downpour! You can easily buy one there if needed but if getting caught in the rain isn’t your idea of fun, then bring a small one you can use.
Alternatively, bring a waterproof rain jacket with a hood. (Hint: the chance of a shower is a year round probability in England.)
This is the most important London packing list essentials not to forget! In the summer months, bring a leather jacket and in the winter months, bring a waterproof coat. While heat waves are known to happen on ocassion and the weather has gotten warmer the past few years, always check the weather and plan to bring a jacket or coat.
For a winter visit, learn about how to stay warm in cold weather!
ADDITIONAL TRAVEL TIPS:
- Tube Application: Download this tube app for offline access to London underground system. Get an oyster card to save money on individual trips then return it when you’re done to get your deposit back.
- Sightseeing: The Tube is an easy way to see the sights. You can also ride a bike or join a free walking tour with New Europe Tours. The majority of the sights are walking distance if you base yourself near the Covent garden area.
- Cheap Meals: When you’re on the go, food may be an afterthought especially if the exchange rate isn’t working in your favor. Get a “cheap” bite to eat at a get a meal in the go at Marks and Spencer’s or for cheap eating, get the meal deals at Tesco Express or Sainsbury. They have a huge selection and there’s something for everyone especially if you’re on a budget.
- Accommodation: Airbnb offers good value on accommodation for London and other European cities. Get $20 off your first stay here!
What are your London packing list essentials? Comment below!
For more ideas on Europe travel essentials, please read:
- What to Pack when Traveling to Europe for Business
- 10 Step Packing Guide for Europe
- Best Carryon Suitcases for Traveling Europe
- How to Choose the Best Shoes for Europe
Hope you enjoyed this post on London packing list essentials. Please share with your friends on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Thanks for reading!
Liked this article? Check out similar posts:
Share and Enjoy